Tracing the spirit of the Nordic Summer University from 1950 to the present and the future…
The Nordic Summer University (NSU) is commissioning artistic projects, research projects and new collaborations around our historical archive in Copenhagen. We are seeking proposals for works which trace the spread of NSU’s values across the world. The projects will culminate in a mini-festival in Norway in Summer 2020 to celebrate NSU’s 70th anniversary – truly the oldest Nordic institution of its kind!
We are inviting individuals or groups of artists and researchers to bring the history of NSU and its core Nordic heritage to a wider audience. Projects can be inspired by visiting the NSU Archive in Copenhagen or from another part of our history (see the call for some examples), and can take the form of audio, films, writing, artworks and/or artistic experiments/interventions.
Please download the NSU Call for Artists Researchers (including application form)
What is expected?
The call is open to artists, students and researchers of any discipline or medium who can demonstrate affinity with the values of NSU.
- produce at least one trace* of the spirit of the Nordic Summer University – a tangible element that spreads (see below)
- be prepared to share their working process with NSU through dialogue and engagement from the start of their project (Summer 2019) to the culmination of it (Summer 2020)
- include at least one Contact Member who will be responsible for sending regular communications updates – e.g. photos, videos, audio or writing samples – to the Anniversary Project Manager
- be present at the 70th Anniversary event in Norway in Summer 2020 in some form – be this as a live performance/presentation, an artefact, a text, an installation etc…
What is offered?
- Funding of up to 30,000 DKK (or 4000 Euro) is available per project (with an accepted budget) to cover the costs of material needed, potentially a visit to the NSU Archive held at the Danish National Archives (Rigsarkivet) in Copenhagen, and/or an honorarium for researchers/artists.
- Additional funding up to 5,600 DKK per project is available for costs to produce and spread the project’s trace* (e.g. through non-commercial publication or another means of production)
Where do I start?
NSU is a Nordic research network which organises study circles across the boundaries of nationality and discipline. Since 1950, we have been creating forums for cultural and intellectual debate in the Nordic and Baltic region, involving students, academics, politicians, and intellectuals from this region and beyond.
However, not everyone knows our story. Not even us.
With 70 years of radical history, there are so many stories to collect and traces to follow – from our 1995 keynote speaker Slavoj Žižek being ushered onto a plane asking for “5 more minutes please!”, to our vast array of provocative research books.
To inspire your project ideas, you can find some short ideas from the archive on our Instagram page.
Read more about this project on this website: https://tracingthespirit.wordpress.com
Please fill in the attached application form and return to Kai Green, NSU Anniversary Project Manager, by email: kai.green@ nsuweb.org. Questions are welcomed! Deadline: 31st May 2019.
Download here: Full NSU Call for Artists Researchers (including application form) [word-document]